Saturday, February 25, 2012

Wants to work in UK? Get Insured!

Some nurses desire to work in UK.  With the wide variety of jobs available such as specialist nurses, school nurses, paediatric nurses, and midwives, other nurses have thought of travelling to UK to earn money. But doing so needs a lot of requirements. Some of which are professional registration with a regulatory body, passing the IELTS (for non-EU nurses), having work permits, and some institutions may require you an insurance.

Although a professional indemnity insurance is not compulsory for all nurses. It is, of course, highly recommended. This kind of insurance generally protects you from civil liability claims usually made against you due to professional services. Some civil liability claims include but are not limited to: an adverse outcome for a patient, an error seen in your part while doing your service, and breach of patient’s confidentiality. Other unintentional practices are also part of these claims which will be covered in your insurance once you have one.

Professional indemnity insurance will also cover you if you are injured while at work. If you are also registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Council, the organization will help you and advise you regarding insurance options.

If you are covered by an insurance company, it wouldn’t be hard for you and your future employer if something happens along the way. In fact, it is now part of the national registration which states:

“Nurses and midwives must not practise their professions unless they are covered in the conduct of their practice by appropriate professional indemnity insurance (PII) arrangements.”

A copy of the entire registration standard can be downloaded from 

No comments:

Post a Comment